Ms. Cook's Table: Angel Food Cake
Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites (from 8 to 9 large eggs), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
- Fruit of the season
- Whipped cream icing
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until very stiff.
- Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla.
- Beat until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour twice.
- Fold into egg whites.
- Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Immediately invert pan over - resting on a bottleneck or the type cake pan with legs on the rim for an hour or more.
- Loosen cooled cake from sides with knife or spatula, remove from pan, and use whipped cream topping below and/or fresh fruit.